Filed Under Story
Henry Opera House
Built in 1880 as lodge hall. First floor soon became a dry goods and grocery store, and second was made into a fine theater by owner, John Henry (1828-97). Here traveling troupes played Shakespeare and dramas of the times. Famous magician Hermann the Great made Texas debut here; and Blind Tom, self-taught Negro piano virtuoso, once performed on this stage. After period as skating rink, opera house showed first motion picture in the city, about 1909. But with building of new theater, it closed and came again to be used for offices and stores.