The statue was erected to honor the soldiers who fought for Texas’s freedom. Dr. Morris K. Jackson and a group of other area researchers (Peggy Jasso, Trisha Perkins, and Jeff Opperman) spent over 160 hours identifying 194 individuals from the 1835 Nacogdoches County who participated in the Texas Revolution In order to qualify to be on this list, the soldier’s name should be found in a muster roll for military service sometime between Oct. 1, 1835, to the end of the Texas revolution on April 21, 1836, the soldier should have received bounty or donation land as proof for his service, and he should have some tie or connection to Nacogdoches. Behind the statue, there are plaques that list the soldiers from the Siege of Bexar, the Siege of the Alamo, the Battle of San Jacinto, Ranger and Militia Soldiers, the Texas Navy, the Battle of Goliad, and the Battle of Matamoros. [1 & 2]
Harry Weber presented multiple sketches, and members of the Charles and Lois Marie Bright Foundation and Friends of Historic Nacogdoches, Inc. chose the final design. The dedication took place on April 27, 2017, and the state is located in the public lot facing Main Street, next to the intersection of Church Street and Main Street.