Considered to be one of the oldest homes in Huntsville, the Pritchett home was built by Joseph and Lenora Pritchett. A mathmatics professor at Sam Houston Normal Institute and father of six, Joesph Pritchett expanded the home as his family grew. The porch features Queen Anne spindlework in the brackets and still has the original oak front doors. Built in 1892, and nicknamed "Oak Grove" the Pritchett home has been a staple on Avenue O for 125 years.
The Pritchett family lived in the home until 1945, when it was sold to William Kellog. The Victorian-era home was restored by Mary Gibbs after Kellog's death in April, 2004. In an interview with Kelly Prew from the Huntsville Item, Mary Gibbs, a long time neighbor of the Kellog family, recalls a story about the homes pecan trees surrounding the home. “The pecan trees have a special story, Dr. Pritchett had a son, Frank, who died tragically, and when he died, Dr. Pritchett found two pecans in his pocket. He then planted them and they grew into these wonderful trees.” The home is now used for special events and tours are given in December as a part of the Huntsville Historic Homes Tour each year.
The Texas Historical Marker reads, "Missouri native Joseph Lucien Pritchett (1858-1936) and his wife, Lenora Melissa (Evans), moved to Huntsville in 1888, when he was appointed to the faculty of Sam Houston Normal Institute as a professor of mathematics. After acquiring some property in the area, they built this house in 1892 and named it "Oak Grove." Folk Victorian in form, the house features Queen Anne spindlework in the porch brackets and along the eaves of the front gable dormer. The Pritchetts expanded the house as their family grew, ultimately to include six children. "Oak Grove" remained in the Pritchett family until 1945. The house was recorded as a Texas Historic Landmark in 2001."