According to local tradition this cemetery was established by deed in 1853 to prevent people of mixed Native American and pioneer American heritage from being buried in other area cemeteries. The first person known to be buried here was Martha Johnston Andrews in 1860. The cemetery is closely associated with the nearby Pleasant Grove Baptist Church. Among the more than 500 burials are many early area settlers (mostly of Scots-Irish ancestry), and veterans of wars ranging from the Civil War to the Vietnam Conflict. Historic Clapp Cemetery continues to serve the local community.